7 health "trends" that are bound to get more trendy - and deservedly so!
From turmeric latte to ugly produce, here’s a lowdown on health trends that will big this year.
Even though we might not be what one would call 'trend followers', this resonates well with our lifestyle and I'm sure, many of yours too. Click on the link below and continue reading for more
2. Stem to root cooking - This is one of my favorites because if there's one thing i dare to use the word "Hate" for, it is wasting food. There is nothing more satisfying for me than to see all the food I prepare being enjoyed and finished. Wastage is a big pet peeve!
Eat All Your Vegetables! Learn how to use stems and roots in your cooking while minimizing waste and maximizing nutrition and flavor HERE.
3. Focus on recovery
Check some of the simplest and best post-workout or any time recovery stretches here.
4. Plant-based protein to rule
For PJ and myself, Torre Washington - one of the most accomplished Plant-Based bodybuilders is an exemplary advocate for a plant-based lifestyle. Raised on a plant-powered vegan diet , this man has influenced SO many to follow suit. Squandering myths about protein with his "rethink protein" message and love for animals, his advice and insight is definitely valuable and note worthy. Read more...
5. Ugly produce
Did you know? Much of ugly or imperfect produce is thrown away and is part of our growing food waste system: "40 percent of food in the United States today goes uneaten." This not only means that Americans are throwing out the equivalent of $165 billion each year - from farm to fork - but also that the uneaten food ends up rotting in landfills as the single largest component of U.S. municipal solid waste where it accounts for a large portion of U.S. methane emissions."
If you want to make a difference, shopping from farmer's market is not only economical and fun, but it also helps reduce wastage of produce and helps your local farmers. Alternatively, sites like "Imperfect Produce" are AMAZING avenues where you can get Organic produce delivered on a subscription basis.
6. Inflammation fighters
My top 7 anti-inflammatory herbs and spices:
FINALLY, people are getting why relaxing at home doesn't make us 'boring' or "anti-social". After a great (but long) day or week of work and working out and cooking meals and dealing with life, its important to take time for yourself in your own space, your comfort zone, your 'nest' if you will. Some ways I love to unwind are:
- Journaling or writing affirmations
- Reading your favorite books/quotes/ new novels
- Watching informative and interesting TV shows/Movies
- Sitting by trees or the water, anywhere in nature really
- Having a relaxed night with friends over and cooking a meal