For the love of spiced quinoa & veggies
Do you want a quick "go-to" meal that you can always turn to after a long day of work, with very little prep and cook time? Something healthy, comforting and full of deliciousness?
If you do..hold tight! Because I'm going to show you sometime that ...umm ...lets call it a safety net of sorts, that you can always fall back on when you're in need of a one pot meal with minimal cooking and cleaning time.
Quinoa is so versatile. I always like to have some made and ready before hand. I have made so many versions of Quinoa and veggies I cannot cannot count, but this is probably the one I love most.
I believe in using only a few ingredients, in order to do full justice to each individual flavor and texture. Every ingredient has its role to play.. the different colors, shapes, textures flavors all need to stand out individually as well as in unison. Kinda like Jazz music! YEAH! Cooking should be like great Jazz music! A perfect dish is one that seems complex and simple at the same time. Its all about that simple-complax creativity.
haha enough of this... lets get to this recipe!
SPICED QUINOA AND VEGGIES
Serving Size : 2
Make Simple Quinoa ( you can prepare the quinoa before hand or while cooking your vegetables)
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cup Water or Vegetable Broth
- Pinch of sea salt
Add all 3 ingredients into a pot. Cook on high flame until water boils and then turn the flame on low, cover and cook for 20 mins. I always set a timer. Quinoa cooks in 20 minutes on the DOT!
(You can add vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor, and you can also add your own spices and herbs to the quinoa while it cooks for added flavor)
Make Spiced Veggies
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 Carrot chopped
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1 red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 cup Kale roughly chopped or torn
- 4 cloves garlic minced or finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger minced or finely chopped (or 1 tsp ground dried ginger)
- 1.5 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnish and added flavor
- Heat oil in a pan and add in garlic and ginger. Cook for about 2 mins on low-medium flame.
- Add in all the veggies and spices except kale and cilantro. Toss very well until everything is well coated.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for about 4 minutes, tossing the vegetables every couple minutes. Add Kale and cook for another minute.
- Now add in the cooked quinoa and mix well with vegetables. Turn off the heat, cover and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Give it all a good mix and taste for salt and seasonings. You can add more cayenne or cumin on top too! Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
Sometimes I like to add some cooked beans (black, kidney, pinto - anything you like) to this recipe to make it extra wholesome and more plant protein rich! If you decide to add beans add in a 1/2 tsp extra cumin and 1/4 tsp extra cayenne to amp the flavor.
And there you have it! Don't forget to try this, share and comment if you love it! All suggestions are welcome too! 💖