Say Cashew Cheese, Please
I recently started to re-read parts of a book that has really helped me and taught me a lot about food, nutrition and how it affects our body and prevention of diseases.
Its called, The China Study - by T. Colin Campbell. If you have not heard of it or read it, you must because this one is a real eye opener !
Did you know that the main form of animal protein that has consistently and strongly proved to promote cancer - is non other than Casein. 87% of cow's milk protein comes from Casein. It promotes all stages of the cancer growth process.
Other animal sources of protein are big contributors to other serious illnesses too, but casein was the one that really stood out in Campbell's research.
What type of protein does not promote cancer and other lethal conditions, even at high levels of intake? Campbell discovered, after decades of research and study, that the safe proteins are all those that come from plants i.e. vegetables, nuts & seeds, fruit, grains etc..
Cheese is a big reason many people find it hard to go vegan. One might believe that he/she can "give up" on "anything but cheese" because they will miss it terribly. But heres the interesting part, even though there is no substitute for good health, there are "substitutes" for animal driven "foods" like cheese and butter!
Cashew cheese is a welcome alternative indeed! Its not only nutritious and much safer to consume than dairy cheese, it is also SOO delicious and creamy and mmm.... haha :D
Today I want to share my version of cashew cheese and I hope you will try it! . Its herby and salty and delicious just like cheese, but its also good for you and can be made at a fraction of the time, fraction of the cost, without costing you your health!
I love this in a salad or sandwich. I used it on quinoa pasta but you can even use it to top your homemade pizza! Add it to any dish really, because it really is full of flavor!
Without further ado (because I always like to keep these intros short) , here goes... :)
- 1/2 Cup Cashews ( soaked for 1 hour in luke warm water | Or for up to 8 hrs. for a creamier texture of cheese )
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried or fresh garlic
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp organic corn starch
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (I like to use the rind too)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 tsp agar agar
- In a blender add the soaked cashews and all the other ingredients ( basil, oregano, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, corn starch, lemon juice, honey) with 1/2 cup water. Do not add the agar agar in this step.
- Blend until smooth. Taste to check salt and seasonings and adjust as per preference.
- Mix the agar agar with 2 tbsp room temperature water until it is well dissolved.
- In a saucepan, add the blended cashew mixture and the agar agar and water mixture.
- Mix well and keep on low-medium heat until the mixture thickens to the consistency of a thick sauce and finally a sticky pudding like texture. .
- Pour into a greased mould and refrigerate for 3 - 4 hours , or until firm.
- After refrigeration the block of "cheese" should easily come out of the mould.
Your cashew cheese will keep well for up to 1 week (maybe even more) when refrigerated. Get your cashews here !
Please share your comments and suggestions with us below! Also let us know if you have tried this or any other cashew cheese recipe! Would love to hear! <3
Serving size: 1 Tbsp (of 32 total) | Calories: 54 | Fat: 3.4 g | Saturated fat: 0.8 g | Carbohydrates: 2.8 g | Sodium: 33 mg | Protein: 1.5 g