Overnight Cinnamhoney Oatmeal
The combination of honey and cinnamon has been used for centuries in both traditional Chinese and Ayurveda, a system of healing founded 5000 years ago in India. The two ingredients with unique healing abilities have a long history as a home remedy. Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known to mankind and honey's popularity has continued throughout history. Cinnamon's essential oils and honey's enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide qualify the two "anti-microbial" foods with the ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi. Both are used not just as a beverage flavoring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent and are used as alternatives to traditional food preservatives due to their effective antimicrobial properties. For more on the benefits of Cinnamon and Honey (Cinnamhoney 😋) check this article .
Make this the first meal of your day or a decadent (but oh so healthy) anytime dessert. I'll let you choose how you want to enjoy this creamy, absolutely perfect comfort food that provides a ton of nutrients too! But definitely give this one a try. Maximum taste and health with minimum effort!
I saw this recipe on That Clean Life and had to share. I have made this one before and can vouch for its deliciousness. So give it a try. PS: I use only organic ingredients (Especially apples) and pure vanilla extract (not the essence) and I think it makes all the difference in health and flavor too!
Cutting to the chase....
Prep Time: 8 hours (overnight)
- 1.5 cups Oats
- 1.5 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk (Recipe)
- 2 tbsps Organic Chia Seeds
- 1 tbsps Honey (or Maple Syrup)
- 1 tsp Organic Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Apple (cored and diced) or Fruit of your choice - I love Blueberries 😃
- 1 cup Walnuts (chopped)
- 1 tsp Organic Maca Root Powder (Optional if you want to take the nutrition in this meal to the next level!)
- Combine oats, almond milk, chia seeds, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and water in a large glass container. Stir well to evenly mix. Cover and store in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from fridge. Use single-serving size jars (250 mL or 500 mL in size) and place a few spoonfuls of the oat mixture in the bottom of each. Then add a layer of diced apple followed by a layer of chopped walnuts. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- Store in the fridge up to 4 days or until ready to eat. Add an extra splash of almond milk and/or a drizzle of honey (optional).
Warm It Up - Heat for a few minutes with another splash of almond milk
Vegan - Use maple syrup instead of honey
More Protein - Add hemp seeds or a spoonful of nut butter
Want more overnight oatmeal ideas you can try? Here are 8 of them!