Love yourself Spirulina bites
We are always adding spirulina to our smoothies and lemon water.
But today I was looking for some more exciting ways to incorporate it into our diet. A quick google search can lead you to a whole bunch of recipes with spirulina, but honestly what better way to use it than in some delicious energy bites with simple ingredients that are pretty much always in our kitchen?!
I found this recipe by Gracie Carroll (find her on twitter) and had to give it a try. Im excitied to make them, add my own twists, give them a try and share my thoughts with you guys.
So stay tuned to find out how they turned out, or BETTER STILL, try it with me and let me know how yours turned out. ( we will be sharing our pictures so feel free to share yours too!)
- 1/3 cup Raw cashews (click to shop)
- 1/2 cup Raw pumpkin seeds (click to shop)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Organic ceylon cinnamon (click to shop)
- 1tsp Organic spirulina (click to shop)
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- Zest of 2 small orange or lemon
- Blend the nuts and seeds in a food processor for a minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, blend to allow everything to combine.
- Roll the mixture into balls by hand and pop them in the fridge to set for 1 hour.
- After they set, enjoy! They will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks
In case you are new to Spirulina, it ‘is a total superfood, loaded with beta-carotene, iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B complex and chlorophyll‘ as Madeleine shares in her book (yes, I’m lazy and totally happy to rely on her research here). It is quite a potent taste that can be rather overwhelming on its own (FYI - it is a type algae so can be a bit like eating powdered seaweed), but, thankfully with this recipe you can enjoy all of its superfood benefits while masking its taste with help from lovely ingredients such as the dates and cinnamon to help make it sweet, but still very healthy.
These snacks are perfect before or after the gym, or for when you’re hungry for a little snack or a sweet treat without the guilt!