One pot Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil soup
Tomatoes and basil are a match made in heaven 🍅🌿❤️💚
Once you make a tomato soup like this at home, and discover how easy, delectable and quick it is, you are guaranteed to make it a regular feature in your kitchen!
My creamy tomato basil soup is the perfect accompaniment to any light meal or AS a light meal in itself.
Pair it with a salad, a simple veggie sandwich or any other meal you want to make more wholesome.
Let's get started!
Serves - About 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnishing
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 1 bunch fresh basil (about 6-7 big leaves) OR 2 tsp dried basil - I recommend fresh for this recipe
- 1 teaspoon dried (or fresh) oregano
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika (optional but recommended)
- 1/2 tsp (or more) organic cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp maple syrup or brown sugar (totally optional)
- 3 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 cup water
- more fresh basil and/or micro greens, chopped for garnishing
- Add olive oil to a large stock pot and heat on medium heat. Add in onions and garlic and cook until tender (about 3 minutes) Add the red peppers and cook for another 2 minutes
- Now you can add in the tomatoes, oregano, freshly chopped (or dried) basil, paprika, cayenne, sea salt, and water. Bring this mixture to a boil and reduce heat.
- Add the nutritional yeast, brown sugar/maple syrup - mix well until everything is well incorporated. Give it a taste to check for seasoning. I actually added more fresh basil here because I LOVE the aroma I wanted the flavor to stand out
- Cover and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes
- Use an immersion blender, regular blender (I used my vitamix) or just a potato masher to get the consistency you like (chunky or smooth & creamy)
Transfer to your favorite soup bowls, garnish with choice of herbs or greens and ENJOY! We Made some avocado + veggie wraps and enjoyed this meal thoroughly!
Weird Suggestion you might want to try! ( I promise you will love it!) -- This makes a lot and you might have leftovers. What did I do with that? I made some brown rice this morning, added some of the leftover soup, another tbsp of nutritional yeast, some more cayenne + smoked paprika and threw in some more fresh basil and spinach. It made for the perfect "risotto" like lunch that I absolutely LOVED!
I hope you will try this at home and enjoy it as much as we did! As always, feedback and suggestions for swaps or with your versions of the recipe are most welcome! 💜🙏