Slow Cooker Vegan Coconut Curry Chickpea Lentil Soup
Today is a great day for SOUP! Since it's still been cold and cloudy in Cali, Soup has been our go-to comfort food for a few weeks now. Whenever I can find the time I make a simple soup with veggies and lentils and PJ always seems to love it.
I have been trying to use the crock pot (aka slow cooker) a whole lot more and have realized what a blissing it is when you want a nice cooked meal but don't have all the time in the world to cook it!
When I got up this a.m and sought inspiration from some of my favorite bloggers, I came across this recipe by "Happy Healthy Mama" that looks super easy and super delicious.
I love that I can add all the ingredients into the pot and just wait for the magic to happen. Do my thing, work, workout, relax and 4-8 hours later...VOILA!
I just added all the everything into the slow cooker (it's 10;48 a.m.) and I can't wait until dinner time ;)
I will be adding my comments and review of this recipe at the end of the day so stay tuned if you like :)
Author: Happy Healthy Mama
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 10 mins
"This Coconut Curry Chickpea Lentil Soup is such an easy and healthy recipe that is full of flavor! You're going to love this vegan and gluten-free soup made in the crockpot!"
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dry lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (I used mild curry)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and mix well. Cook on high heat for 4 hours. (I have not tried it, but cooking it on low heat for 8 hours would most likely work also.) Taste and add more salt and pepper if you prefer. Enjoy!
My Rating : 8/10
For whom :
- Those who love a warm cooked meal in the winter and don't have much time to cook.
- Those who aren't chefs but want to look and feel like one ;)
- Those who love that coconut curry savory flavor! mmmmmm....
If you like the flavor of curry, get your hands on some goo quality curry powder (you an choose the intensity from mild to pungent) and make this one. It was thick and creamy because of the coconut milk and the softened lentils, sweet potato and chickpeas. The flavors were balanced and it was so delicious with Quinoa and some greens. You can also enjoy it plain (we did that too) or with Brown rice. YUM!
If you don't have a slow cooker this one can still be made on low heat on the stove.
I made some modifications and think they worked pretty well. Here they are :
- Added a 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- Added 1 tsp of Organic garlic powder (fresh garlic will work the same)
- I used 1 can of chickpeas instead of 2.
- Next time I'm going to add some kale in there 10 minutes before the slow cooker timer goes off.. I think that will be great for the texture and flavor of the whole dish.
So give this one a try and don't forget to tell us how it turns out!