Traditional, healing Turmeric Milk
Turmeric milk is something I have been drinking as a little girl. I remember my mother trying to hand me a cup of warm "haldi doodh" at the slightest sign of a cold or fever. It's been an age old remedy in India to fight all kinds of sicknesses and ailments. My grandma still drinks it often for a multitude of reasons. And rightfully so! As I have grown older I have learned to appreciate it so much and even love the distinct flavor. A little goes a long way so try to incorporate some in your meals or drinks/smoothies to avail of its many benefits.
Turmeric milk is a traditional Ayurvedic drink to boost your health and vitality. It is usually taken to promote sleep and heal an array of ailments including common colds, sore throat, indigestion, diarrhea, IBS, Crohn's disease, menstrual cramps, headaches and arthritis.
My recipe is enjoyable as an everyday drink, but it can also be taken a few times daily if you feel like you are coming down with a cold or bad throat. The ginger from this drink soothes the throat and the turmeric acts as an anti-inflammatory ( other than working its magic in other ways too!)
- 1 cup Almond or Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Organic Turmeric root powder
- 1 pinch freshly ground Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Organic Ceylon Cinnamon powder
- 1 pod cardamom (deseeded and crushed seeds) or 1/4 tsp cardamom powder [optional] OR
- 1 inch fresh ginger root juiced ( I just grate it and squeeze the juice with my fingers)
- Honey to taste (or substitute with maple syrup or cane sugar)
- Add all ingredients (except honey) to a pot on medium heat and bring to boil.
- Pour into cup and add desired amount of honey (or sweetener)
Drink daily in the evening, or at night before bed.
Here are some of the many amazing benefits of turmeric:
- It is very nourishing for the liver, your primary detoxification organ. By supporting your liver, you’re naturally supporting your body’s ability to detoxify.
- It is a powerful anti-inflammatory due largely to the effects of the compound curcumin.
- It stimulates the production of bile, which has two primary roles in your body: it emulsifies (breaks down) fat so that your body can use it properly and it escorts toxins from your body through the digestive tract.
- It has been shown to be very important in fighting cancer.
- It purifies the blood.
I am so happy to share this extremely healing and delicious drink with you. Please feel free to share with me your variations and suggestions.